Saturday, July 4, 2009

Existence (2)

Spring must be on its way – the blackbirds are in courtship mode. Bird-watching gives me much pleasure. The wax-eyes queue up for their turn at the suet ball but the starlings have now discovered it and a pair call daily. The sparrows turn up at midday for their daily bread.

In 1917 while many of our young men were fighting and dying in Flanders the Akaroa magistrate’s court was considering an interesting legal case – the right of the county council to prohibit night-driving. I outlined the arguments in an earlier blog. Cousin Sally is researching family history in the Akaroa Mail and sent me the details. At that stage the magistrate had not reached a decision. Sally has researched further. The decision went against the council. ‘It unduly hindered the public in the lawful use of the highway.’

Last Thursday was a good day. Oliver brought bluff oysters for lunch. The number of treats life can offer me has narrowed down now. Oysters are one I can still enjoy.

Geoff and Pam called. Geoff – an engineering student - and I roomed together at Rolleston House, the hostel in Canterbury University years ago. We were best man at each other’s wedding. Geoff is heavily involved in Seniornet. He helped tidy up my computer. Unlike most experts in this field he is an excellent teacher – insisting I do all the hands-on stuff. I enjoyed the learning experience, it was stimulating.

I’ve finished The Forever War, a brilliant and horrifying read. Iraq; that poor country, centuries old hatreds. Filkin describes visiting the British graves from the First World War era.

The hyacinths in their tray inside are in full bloom, a lovely sight and scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment